'Dotty' Another Short Film Review

https://www.shortoftheweek.com/2015/08/25/dotty/

This short film I have chosen to review is a Dramedy called ‘Dotty’ directed by Mick Andrews and Brett O’Gorman (made in New Zealand). This beautiful short film tells a story of a lifetime in the span of 11 minutes.



The plot is about a young woman who is trying to teach an elderly lady in a nursing home, how to text her daughter. Overall, it demonstrates how the older generation has been left behind during the advancement of technology by the use of the character Dotty.

The video starts off rather slow with an introductory long lasting cut of a man walking around the home, alongside the dawdling music playing in the background. At first I thought the film was a bit of a slow burner and worried it could lose my interest. However, I soon discovered the beginning clip was there to help me understand the approach Dotty was going to take when unveiling the story.

A key part within this clip is the music. Sometimes as a viewer, we can forget the vital part it plays and it certainly does in this film as it helps demonstrate the passing of time. As a viewer, we don’t always notice the music on the first watch, as it is normally is meant to accompany the visuals subtly.

Throughout the film it is full of comical moments, showing the daily struggles of trying to teach someone, something new. These particular scenes actually reminded myself trying to teach my Nan how to use her new phone. Similar to Dotty she listened carefully, yet still had no idea what I was going on about or what to do. I found myself relating to this issue because I too (like the woman) felt like giving up several times, as I tried to show her the simple process/daily task.

During the film, I could not fault the dialogue; it was on the money! The acting by Alison Bruce (the young lady) and Joyce Irving (the elderly lady) was exceptionally convincing. Personally, I think these scenes are relatable as you can see the lady getting impatient and frustrated, yet she still remains calm trying to help Dotty out.

On the whole, ‘Dotty” was extremely witty, clever and touching. If you haven’t watch the film and currently reading this review, I will warn you now this next bit is a spoiler alert. Towards the end of the film you make the assumption that Dotty either has dementia or experiencing memory loss. This is evident when the lady asks Dotty what her daughter’s name is to send the text too. Dotty doesn’t appear to remember so has to reminded by the woman. As an audience we can presume that the person who we first thought was Dotty’s nurse, could actually her daughter Carol. This is then established when Dotty sends the texts and the phone beeps in the lady’s bag.

To conclude, this clip explores the evolution of communication. What I particularly enjoyed about Mick Andrews and Brett O’Gorman’s video is its light-hearted approach to a serious subject that we could all probably relate to in some shape or form.
  

Comments

Popular Posts